Monday, January 1, 2018

2017 Year in Review

Welcome to my 2017 Year in Review!

This is probably the first time I've sat down and properly done a year in review. Please excuse my awkward writing and grammar. It's been a while since I've blogged or written anything non academic ' -')/ 50 questions guiding my 2017 year in review let's go!

My 2017

1. What one event, big or small, are you going to tell your grandchildren about?
Wow I'm already stuck on the first question AHHA I would tell my grandchildren about the time when I sat in a Melbourne hostel on the night of MCP election. I was Dumbfounded. Replaying everything that happened on the election day in my mind. Even though I've already rehearsed all the possible outcomes and prepared myself for the emotions that could possibly follow the announcement.

I still didn't manage to figure out how I'm going to break this news to my mother, who spent her time and money into supporting me to apply for a 1 year Japanese Language Program next year. I went around asking tutors to write a recommendation for me, I wrote my lengthy application, we sent our application that costed over $60 to mail express to the university. After all of that, I was offered into the program starting April 2018. The deadline to accept the offer was on the same night as the MCP election. Japan was my back up plan.

To be honest, I was afraid to tell my mom the truth. The truth that I've already put my heart and head into becoming MCP for AIESEC in Australia 1819. I sat there on the bunk bed, gathered myself and messaged my mom. To my surprise, she was fine with it and we wrapped up the conversation with her saying "as long as you are happy".

That hit me really hard.
This is the second time that I've given my parents a "pleasant surprise" yet every single time, they resist but eventually come to accept my decision - whether or not they personally agree with it or not. Love, is so mighty. Isn't it?

2. If you had to describe your 2017 in 3 words, what would they be?
Challenge. Courage. Explore.

3. What new things did you discover about yourself?
I think a lot of this year was more confirming the speculations I had.

4. What single achievement are you most proud of?
raising funds for ANU :)

5. What was the best news you received?
You are now confirmed to graduate at the end of 2017.

6. What was your favourite place that you visited in 2017?
Budapest. It was a beautiful city!

7. Which of your personal qualities turned out to be the most helpful this year?
To never give up. Even when times are tough and I can't seem to understand myself, the challenges and the people around me. I never gave up. I tried to find a way forward. I bought tickets to India to attend APC. I believed when it's easy to not believe. To never give up after being rejected multiple times.

8. Who was your number 1 go to person that you could always rely on?
Wallace. He wasn't just there to listen to me rant, but was there to give me a fresh perspective that I didn't have. He stopped me spiralling into a pessimistic, self deprecating potato.

9. Which new skills did you learn?
Calling alumni on behalf of the university LOL It was actually pretty challenging for me personally. I learned how to better manage myself better. I've learned how to present/facilitate better. I've learned how to teach people better. I've learned how to pack for travels better (super compact packing with travel cubes hehe).

10. What, or who, are you most thankful for?
Wallace. My health.

11. If someone wrote a book about your life in 2017, what kind of genre would it be? A comedy, love story, drama, film noir or something else?
Drama. An up and down year.

12. What was the most important lesson you learnt in 2017?
Importance of self care. Learning to fill my cup to pour into others.

Hands down. This quote encapsulates the most important lesson I've learned this year. I can't impact anyone or grow anyone if I am not at where I need to be. I learned that books are food for the mind. And if my mind is empty and just a machine that runs the default program installed, then I will never be able to bring any new or improved ideas and solutions. I must first fill my own cup and KEEP filling my own cup so that I can make a positive impact.

13. Which mental blocks did you overcome?
Whether or not I am the right person for the job.

If I am selected to be the person for the job, then it doesn't matter about whether I think I am the right person for the job. It's now about how fast I can reach beyond the break even point so that I can be the best person for the job. The race begins. No time for self doubt. Let's get goinggggg!

14. What 5 people did you most enjoy spending time with?
EB Shiitake (Isaac, MP, Denise, Sam) + Wallace hehe

15. What was your biggest break-through moment career-wise?
AIESEC career-wise, definitely having the nerves and guts to run for MCP, regardless of the outcome.

16. How did your relationship with your family evolve?
Generally closer than previous years. I was a pretty obedient kid throughout my teenage years and this year was the first time that I've raised my temper at them. It's all good now! :) We've become more understanding and open to each other

17. What book or movie affected your life in a profound way?
Thrive by Arianna Huffington.
Thanks Helen for the book!

18. What was your favourite compliment that you received this year?
"Your eyes sparkle when you present"

I ran my first ever AIESEC session in March 2016. I had no clue what I was saying, I was stumbling over every word, I was shaking and panicking. That was one of the most embarrassing time of my time in uni. I was horrid at public speaking and EVERYONE knew. I was kindly shoved to the side when we were deciding facilitators for our LC conference in semester 1 2016. Regardless, I still kept trying. I applied for Statecon semester 2 faci in 2016. Kept practising, getting feedback, improve, try again and repeat. To have all of the effort to try and eliminate the barriers stopping me from being able to communicate to crowds...slowly go away. This is why this is my favourite compliment of 2017 <3

19. What little things did you most enjoy during your day to day life?
I enjoyed being able to wake up every day and able to go about my day without difficulties. I can walk. I can breathe. I can eat. I can ..um yeah poop. I can learn. I can see. I can read. Yeah you get it. :)

20. What cool things did you create this year?
' v')~

21. What was your most common mental state this year?
confronted.

22. Was there anything you did for the very first time in your life this year?
I went to India for the first time.
I went to Europe for the first time.
I saw snow for the first time (more of December 2016 hahaha)
I skied for the first time (jk i just moved on flat surface too scared for hills)

23. What was your favourite moment spent with your friends?
Sydney Pre JulyCon with the shiitake crew!

24. What major goal did you lay the foundations for?
' v')~

25. Which worries turned out to be completely unnecessary? 
can I grad or not?

26. What experience would you love to do all over again?
LCP. It's good to be a LCP.

27. What was the best gift you received?
life.

28. How did your overall outlook on life evolve?
I use to just take things day by day, one step at a time. In 2017, I learned to look ahead and plan the next 2 steps to get there. I still want to live a life of significant purpose. I can't do that if I don't take control of the wheels and actively follow a plan that will get me to where I want to be at the end of my life.

29. What was the biggest problem you solved?
' v')~

30. What was the funniest moment of your year, one that still makes it hard not to burst out laughing when you think about it?
Oh dear I have really bad memory. Too many good mems

31. What purchase turned out to be the best decision ever? 
Plane ticket + rego to APC.

32. What one thing would you do differently and why?
To go on exchange before 2017 so that I can spend Jan and Feb 2017 with my EB to prepare for winter peak.

33. What do you deserve a pat on the back for?
' v')~

34. What activities made you lose track of time?
AIESEC.

35. What did you think about more than anything else?
What am I going to do after I graduate?

36. What topics did you most enjoy learning about?
Communication in business MGMT2100 HAHHHAHAH
Legit so useful and applicable.

37. What new habits did you cultivate?
Drinking water everyday.

38. What advice would you give your early 2017 self if you could?
Don't waste your health stressing over things.

39. Did any parts of your self or your life do a complete 180 this year?
Spending.
INCREASED A LOT. Can't believe how I use to spend $400 in 5 weeks.

40. What or who had the biggest positive impact on your life this year?
Other than Wallace... I'd have to say Helen, ANU's LC coach for the first half of the year.
She challenged me, she made me think, she inspired me, she believed in me and she helped me build myself into who I wanted and needed to be for AIESEC in ANU and ..for myself. I can't put into words how grateful I am for her help. I actually couldn't help crying at NewCon when Helen's video was playing on the projector. It was such an overwhelming moment for me because she made a huge impact in my life and I owe a lot of my personal progress and professional progress to her.

My 2018

1. What do you want the overarching theme for your 2018 to be?
Thrive.

2. What do you want to see, discover, explore?
The world.
Specifically Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos.

3. Who do you want to spend more time with in 2018?
' v')~

4. What skills do you want to learn, improve or master?
Learn
- how to manage personal finance

Improve
Japanese Language
- Speaking slower
- reading more books
- healthy eating habits
- cooking

Master
- Chinese Language
- time management
- positive thinking
- teaching/facilitation
- discipline
- public speaking


5. Which personal quality do you want to develop or strengthen?
Discipline

6. What do you want your everyday life to be like?
Fulfilling.
Where I can balance between work and life.

7. Which habits do you want to change, cultivate or get rid of?

cultivate
- daily blogging
- calling family every week
- top notch tracking habit

get rid of
- bad posture
- hitting snooze button
- sleeping past 12


8. What do you want to achieve career wise?
let as many people know that it's cool to give a shit and that they have the power to be the change they want to see in the world.

9. How do you want to remember the year 2018 when you look back on it 10/20/50 years from now?
A year where learnings can bear fruit.

10. What is your number one goal for 2018?
Improve my mental and physical health.


And...that's it!